Working at Aurora
How to Apply
Physical Education Instructor
Reports to: Head of School, Assistant Head of School
- 2+ years experience teaching students in grades K-5
- Bachelor’s degree (required)
- Experienced at planning and implementing integrated curricula
- Committed to culturally responsive teaching
- Open and motivated to work collaboratively
- Understands child growth, development, and social needs
- Possesses strong communication and organizational skills
- Exhibits a strong commitment to working in a diverse, multi-cultural community
- Teach physical education to students grades K-5 in a multi-graded configuration using curriculum and teaching strategies consistent with Aurora’s mission, core values, and curriculum guidelines.
- Develop age and ability appropriate instruction that develops concepts of movement and body management.
- Develop an awareness of the components of fitness including aerobic capacity, muscular strength, endurance, and flexibility.
- Focus on the concepts of teamwork and sportspersonship.
- Manage a wide range of student abilities and experience.
- Differentiate for students based on unique needs so all students are appropriately engaged.
- Promote physical and emotional learning opportunities.
- Provide the opportunity for enjoyment, challenge, and self-expression.
- Create character-building lessons focused on responsibility, positive social interaction, and group dynamics.
- Create an environment of respect that encourages students to take risks and strive to reach goals.
- Encourage social interaction and student appreciation of the successes and achievements of others.
- Encourage an appreciation for life long physical fitness.
- Initiate and maintain timely communication with families, when necessary.
- Collaborate with colleagues.
- Exhibit professional standards of attendance, punctuality, language, preparedness, and relationship to students, parents, faculty and administration.
- Plan and implement end of the year school-wide Field Day.
- Attend school-wide events and staff trainings:
- Back-To-School Night (September)
- Information Day (November)
- Staff meetings (Two required per year)
- Scheduled staff in-service days
- Secure substitute teacher coverage when absent and inform Lead Teacher and Administrative team of absence.
- All other duties as assigned by the Head of School or Assistant Head of School.
COMPENSATION: Commensurate with experience.
TO APPLY: Please submit your cover letter and resume to Human Resource Coordinator. Submission Deadline: June 1, 2018. Position begins August 2018. No phone calls please.
Aurora School is always looking for experienced and enthusiastic substitute teachers for our K-5 classrooms as well as our specialists’ classes. Candidates are invited to call the main office during school hours at (510) 428-2606. Please submit cover letter and resume to Human Resource Coordinator.